28 Nov The onboarding checklist you’ll use again and again
The onboarding checklist you’ll use again and again
Giving new employees a great onboarding experience is essential to their engagement and retention.
Yet, shockingly, around 60% of businesses skip setting any goals or milestones for their new hires. And only 12% of employees feel that their employer has a good onboarding program.
That’s why it’s important for you to have a killer onboarding plan and we’re here to help.
Here’s your new onboarding checklist:
Before your new hire starts
• Talk to the new employee’s future manager to understand their aims and objectives for the first few weeks
• Get all the essential documents ready, including induction checklists, new starter forms and an employee handbook
• Make sure they have a clean, tidy workstation with all the equipment they’ll need
• Create accounts for them to access email, software and any websites essential for their role
• Send them any information you’d like them to read before they start, giving them enough time to digest it
• Introduce your newbie to the rest of the team and show them around the office. A warm welcome goes a long way
• Verify their ID and right to work in the UK and go over their P45, if applicable
• Provide them with all the materials they need to get the hang of their new role
• Walk them through key health and safety points, like the location of fire exits and the first aid kit
• Explain precisely what they’ll be doing and how their role contributes to the bigger picture
• Assign them a challenging-yet-doable project that showcases their skills without overwhelming them
• Make sure they’ve read and filled out all relevant documents, such as employment contracts and induction checklists
• Set clear goals and milestones for their probation period and schedule regular probation review meetings
• Share your company’s long-term goals and how you envision them contributing to the journey
• Check in with them to ensure they’re happy in their role and crystal clear about your expectations
• Help them build relationships with colleagues who they’ll be working closely with
With this onboarding checklist in hand, you’re all set. But as always, if you need a hand, get in touch – contact us or give us a call on 01386 751740.